Wednesday, September 4, 2013

Letting Go

I have a lot of fears as a mother. Some irrational. Some not.

I don't think I am alone in this.

Rowan is a pretty tough kid. He wants to climb on the highest play set. He wants to run with the big kids. He wants to jump from the highest walls. And it makes me incredibly nervous. I know that I need to let him do these things. I know that while the chance of injury is there, it's not inevitable. Not that this knowledge makes it any easier to let him go.

The world's most dangerous ladder

When he climbs this ladder on the playset at the park by our house, it makes my stomach lurch. But he will not  allow for me to hold on to him. He shoos my hand away and says "Mummy, get offa me!"  I stand as close as I possibly can, without actually touching him. Thankfully, I have been there to catch him the couple of times he's lost his balance, but mostly he reaches the platform without a problem.

"See? He's fine!" says Logical Me.
"But, OH! Can you imagine the damage a fall from that height would do?!" says Emotional Me.

As I said, I don't think I am alone in this mindset. Some mothers find it easier to let their children go than others. And perhaps it will be easier with my future children. Or perhaps not. But for now, it is something that I try to reign in, to keep in check. For his sake. And mine.



Hopefully my show of confidence in him will continue to pay off...

No comments:

Post a Comment