Thursday, September 5, 2013

The Project Bond

The Project Bond is an excellent organization. Barbara and Meredith's mission is simple, but important. To promote healthy and connected relationship from birth onwards.

Many of us are recovering and learning how to have healthy relationships with the people that love us. Learning to accept uncondtional love. Learning to accept childhood horrors and move on to a healthy and positive adulthood. And to raise our own children in way that we were not raised.

I recently wrote a guest piece for their blog, about my birth experience with Rowan. For many NICU parents, the bonding process is very different to those of the parents that are able to be with their baby from the moment of birth, without interruption. And, while Rowan was only in the Special Care Unit for less than a week (which is absolutely nothing, compared to the babies who are in the NICU for months), I went through a large range of emotions during that week. And I learned a lot. It is still an experience that I am recovering from, and when I shared a picture with Meredith on Instagram (@claire_e_miller), she asked me to write as a guest for their blog. Talking about that week isn't always the easiest thing to do, but it does get easier with time. And writing out my story over two and half years later was actually relatively easy (which was a big surprise to me). Perhaps because, at this point, I am so far away from those days! As I re-read the story this morning, I realized that now it seems like such a distant, distant memory.

Time is a great healer!

Anyway, if you are interested in reading my story, please do. It can be found here. And while you are there, take some time to read the rest of the website. It will be worth it, I promise you!

No comments:

Post a Comment